There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1) by Katy Rose Pool

Synopsis:

 

For generations, the Seven Prophets guided humanity. Using their visions of the future, they ended wars and united nations―until the day, one hundred years ago, when the Prophets disappeared.

All they left behind was one final, secret prophecy, foretelling an Age of Darkness and the birth of a new Prophet who could be the world’s salvation . . . or the cause of its destruction. As chaos takes hold, five souls are set on a collision course:

A prince exiled from his kingdom.
A ruthless killer known as the Pale Hand.
A once-faithful leader torn between his duty and his heart.
A reckless gambler with the power to find anything or anyone.
And a dying girl on the verge of giving up.

One of them―or all of them―could break the world. Will they be savior or destroyer?


Rating: 🌟🌟

 

I'm heartbroken that I didn't really enjoy this. I was SO excited for it before release.

The main reason I didn't care much for There Will Come a Darkness boils down to this: it felt too young for me. I don't expect YA to cater to me as a 22-year-old adult, but I often find YA stories still appeal to me and because this book was described as a more mature version of the Falling Kingdoms series, I thought I'd love it.

The writing style and characters were just too simplistic for me. Not to mention, the pacing as so break-neck that I felt more "wait what?" when a conflict was introduced and solved within 30 pages, rather than engaged.

I heard that the book gets really crazy and twisty around the halfway point, but was I the only one that could see every plot twist from a mile away? The foreshadowing was so obvious with every "twist" that nothing surprised me. In fact, I was more surprised when the novel treated something as a big reveal, when it had already been obvious to me for chapters and chapters before.

Additionally, I really didn't like how the LGBT+ characters were written. I can't exactly put my finger on what exactly made me uncomfy about how they were portrayed. But as a queer person, the LGBT+ rep felt more like the book was trying to win diversity points than boost up the LGBT+ community. The way that the male queer characters were portrayed, especially, felt really off to me. Again, I'm not exactly sure what exactly made me feel that way, only that I did whenever there was a hint of non-straight romance.

I think if you liked Children of Blood and Bone or The Gilded Wolves, you'll love this. But as someone who didn't enjoy either of the aforementioned novels, There Will Come a Darkness just wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment