The Hod King (The Books of Babel #3) by Josiah Bancroft

Synopsis:

 

Fearing an uprising, the Sphinx sends Senlin to investigate a plot that has taken hold in the ringdom of Pelphia. Alone in the city, Senlin infiltrates a bloody arena where hods battle for the public's entertainment. But his investigation is quickly derailed by a gruesome crime and an unexpected reunion.

Posing as a noble lady and her handmaid, Voleta and Iren attempt to reach Marya, who is isolated by her fame. While navigating the court, Voleta attracts the unwanted attention of a powerful prince whose pursuit of her threatens their plan.

Edith, now captain of the Sphinx's fierce flagship, joins forces with a fellow wakeman to investigate the disappearance of a beloved friend. She must decide who to trust as her desperate search brings her nearer to the Black Trail where the hods climb in darkness and whisper of the Hod King.

As Senlin and his crew become further dragged in to the conspiracies of the Tower, everything falls to one question: Who is The Hod King?


Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

 

Is it too early to say this is my favorite book of the year? If the mood of the first two books was "oh man I can't put this down, I have to find out what happens next," The Hod King is hands-down EVERYTHING BAD THAT COULD HAPPEN IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW.

Basically, I was white-knuckled on the book the entire time I was reading it.

Josiah Bancroft never ceases to amaze me with his originality. I swear, this man is a bottomless well of creativity. His world-building never stagnates. He never settles into the comfort of this incredible world he's created. With every novel, the Tower becomes ever more complex and detailed. Whatever brain food diet Bancroft is on, I want some.

Unlike Senlin Ascends or Arm of the Sphinx, the majority of this installment takes place in Pelphia, the fifth ringdom. Even though the location is consistent, Pelphia continues to evolve over the course of the novel as the characters experience different facets of its society. Pelphia demonstrates the worst of what "court culture" can be, filled to the brim with the rich and idle. Yet despite the exploitative and sometimes downright evil nature of the scandal-obsessed society, the grotesque never felt graphic. I'm a big fan of dark fantasy, and I think it takes a lot of skill to be able to communicate the same level of moral bankruptcy without doing so in an especially stomach-churning way. Bancroft masterfully balances the reader's sense of whimsy with the reality of the wickedness that occurs within Pelphia and the Tower at large.

I also thought the structure of The Hod King to be especially compelling. Unlike most ensemble narratives that consistently rotate POVs, this novel is split into three main acts (and a mini act at the end), each featuring POVs from a specific set of characters. This structure is especially successful because of how each act is built. Each ends on the sort of cliff-hanger that had me flipping forward to find out when I would be back with that character. But then the next act would build up to a cliff-hanger just as intense, and all I wanted to do was find out what happened to THAT character. It was horrible for my anxiety and you better believe I loved every goddamn minute of it.

Also can we talk about how there's a f/f relationship in this?? Between two middle-aged women??? When does that EVER happen, especially in fantasy?????? JOSIAH BANCROFT WENT THERE. HE DID THAT FOR US.

Overall, I'm just in awe of this series. Each book is so incredible, and none of the installments ever demonstrate a dip in quality. The prose is clever and whimsical, the characters are wildly realistic, and the world-building is just of such a high caliber it makes me want to weep. I cannot recommend these books enough. I know plenty of people with more authority and several years of life on me have already said this, but sincerely, these books are classics and I adore them with all my heart. You better believe that I'm going to get up at some ungodly hour and order that Anderida Books edition as soon as it's announced.

Also, I still love Byron and would give my left leg to protect him at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment