And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1) by Kiersten White

Synopsis:

 

No one expects a princess to be brutal. And Lada Dragwlya likes it that way. Ever since she and her gentle younger brother, Radu, were wrenched from their homeland of Wallachia and abandoned by their father to be raised in the Ottoman courts, Lada has known that being ruthless is the key to survival. She and Radu are doomed to act as pawns in a vicious game, an unseen sword hovering over their every move. For the lineage that makes them special also makes them targets.

Lada despises the Ottomans and bides her time, planning her vengeance for the day when she can return to Wallachia and claim her birthright. Radu longs only for a place where he feels safe. And when they meet Mehmed, the defiant and lonely son of the sultan, Radu feels that he’s made a true friend—and Lada wonders if she’s finally found someone worthy of her passion.

But Mehmed is heir to the very empire that Lada has sworn to fight against—and that Radu now considers home. Together, Lada, Radu, and Mehmed form a toxic triangle that strains the bonds of love and loyalty to the breaking point.


Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

 


Y'ALL. HOW DID I EVER FORGET HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS BOOK.

I originally read this in February of 2017, but then never continued the series? What was wrong with me?? I knew I loved it. I knew I wanted to read the next book. @ past me, you good???

I honestly think I loved this even more the second time around. I don't usually reach for historical fiction novels - even though I love history - and reading And I Darken makes me desperately want to remedy that.

I adore reading about court intrigue, and this novel is a political powerhouse of it. Lada and Radu fit wonderfully within the complex web of loyalties and betrayals. Their different aspirations play off each other really well, and I love that they defy the roles expected of them. Lada is nasty and brutal and has the physical prowess to best most men. Radu is clever and pretty and so unsuspectingly pleasant that he can outmaneuver even the most skilled courtesan. So, to say the least, I would Die for them.

I'm not familiar with Vlad the Impaler (the historical figure that inspired Lada) or the Ottoman Empire during this time period, so I can't speak to the accuracy or liberties taken by Kiersten White. Since I can only take this story at face value fiction, the plot is twisty, constantly being driven forward by the whims of powerful people. Despite the novel opening on Lada and Radu as young children, their journey as kids is just as enthralling as when they're older.

Also, Kiersten White thank you for delivering on the gays. This is the kind of content I'm here for.

No comments:

Post a Comment