A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.5) by Sarah J. Maas

Synopsis:

 

Feyre, Rhys, and their close-knit circle of friends are still busy rebuilding the Night Court and the vastly-changed world beyond. But Winter Solstice is finally near, and with it, a hard-earned reprieve. 

Yet even the festive atmosphere can't keep the shadows of the past from looming. As Feyre navigates her first Winter Solstice as High Lady, she finds that those dearest to her have more wounds than she anticipated--scars that will have far-reaching impact on the future of their Court.





Rating: 🌟🌟🌟


I think my expectations were too high for this book. I always knew that this was just a bridge novel between the original ACOTAR trilogy and the new one, a way to tie up Feyre and Rhys' story. But I expected ACOFAS to be more driven, and it simply wasn't.

ACOFAS is very fluffy, without much plot to drive it forward. We follow mainly Feyre and Rhys' first-person POVs, but also get a few chapters told from Cassian, Mor, and Nesta's POVs in third-person. The novel truly is character-driven, hopping from character to character as it suits the story. While bringing Feyre and Rhys' story to a close, SJM sets up threads of plot with the other characters that I assume will be explored in later books.

While a little boring and meandering at times, this book does what it sets out to do: make Feyre and Rhys' story feel complete and satisfying. I didn't cry because I finished the novel at nearly 1am and I was too exhausted lol, but I definitely feel bittersweet and sad over it all coming to a close. ACOMAF hit close to home in a way few novels do, and will remain one of my favorite books for a long time to come. So seeing the end of Feyre's story is a difficult pill to swallow. But ACOFAS gave me closure, in a way that ACOWAR didn't. (Though, I stand by the idea that the original trilogy could've ended with ACOWAR and the transition wouldn't have as jarring as I think SJM expected it to be.)

Also, the smut in this book is kind of weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment